I’m sharing with you a fool-proof recipe for a simple and delicious trifle that I make every year fro Christmas. Each year I always wonder if its going to taste okay, or if I’ve done it right, and every time it’s perfect and everyone is happy.
This is just a simple trifle recipe, I recommend you to swap out the fruits and jams to your liking to make it work for you!
Easy Trifle Recipe
What you’ll need
- Sponge cake (or syrup cake)
- 1 x Tin of Canned Peaches
- Jar of Strawberry Jam
- 500ml Custard
- 250ml Cream, whipped
- Chocolate to garnish
What to do:
- Make the jelly according to instructions on the packet and let cool until just starting to firm, you still want it to be liquid.
- Get your trifle container ready, you want a nice deep dish, preferably glass or similar that you see through. Break up the sponge into small pieces to fill the bottom of the dish in one layer.
- On top of the sponge add a layer of strawberry jam.
- Place peaches on top of the jam in a layer, allow space between them so you can se the jam.
- With a blunt knife in the centre of the dish creat four – five inserts down to the sponge layer then add a good layer of the liquid (but firm) jelly. Adding the cuts to the sponge lets the jelly seep down.
- Add a thick layer of custard to cover.
- Repeat steps two – six until your trifle dish is nearly full.
- Pop in the fridge until dessert time.
- Before serving top with fresh whipped cream and a sprinkle of chocolate
- Serve with extra custard. Enjoy!
There are so many different methods and ways to layer trifles – I find this one the best because it leaves the bottom layer of sponge only slightly soaked when you come round to eating is so it’s not completely soggy. If you are a berry fan, It would be great to add fresh strawberries or raspberries in with the peaches for extra flavour.
What is in your favourite trifle?
Merry Christmas, Laura xx